Friday, September 4, 2009

Humanitarian Assistance

This is an excerpt from an email Phil sent this week. I will attach the photos for you to enjoy!

Greetings everyone,

We were fortunate enough to do a humanitarian assistance mission yesterday so I thought I would email out some photos. We delivered some school supplies and some food to a semi remote village. Somehow in the translation the village thought that this was going to be a big food drop, so when we got to the village there were wheel barrows lining the main street.

Unfortunately for them, we didn't even have enough school supplies for all the kids. So the village elder helped us give out the supplies to the most needy families.

Most of the pictures are self-explanatory, but I'll give you a background on some of them. The little guy riding in the truck with us was the son of the one of the Afghan police officers. His dad was actually the public affairs person for their department, so I asked him if he knew how to take pictures too. He said yes, so I asked him where his camera was. He said his dad had it, so I let him borrow my SLR to see what he could do. Hence the picture of me looking all goofy.

The picture of the older man being mugged is what happens when you have stuff to hand out to children. He was handing out No. 2 pencils, that's how little these people have, kids were practically crawling up his leg to get a pencil.

We had two boxes of crayons to hand out as well. So they broke them down and handed one crayon to each child, and they were going just as crazy to have one crayon as they were for the pencils.

They all seemed like pretty good kids. One of them tried, unsuccessfully, to convert me to Islam, but you have to give him props for his effort.

Take Care,

Phil

No comments:

Post a Comment