Saturday, April 25, 2009

Challenge for You!

I wish I had more to share with you. Not a whole lot has changed. Phil had a full week. Long days, lots of learning.

Rather than bore you with details similar to the previous post, I thought I might challenge you.

I am embarrassed to admit that I am ignorant to what is going on beyond my comfortable, safe world.

With the news of Phil's deployment, I began to realize just how clueless I am. I started reading and soaking up information. It's been really interesting to discuss the political and cultural horizons in Afghanistan. Not only have I been discussing it with Phil, but also with some of the other wives whose husbands are with Phil.

My challenge to you is to take a few minutes to do some research on a different part of the world . I don't care if it's Afghanistan. Just pick a place you hear about in the news and learn a bit more about the people of that country and their culture; what they do to make a living; what their political make-up is; what do they do for fun; what is their literacy rate; what do they eat...the lessons are endless.

As I read more about Afghanistan and its people, I am shocked by the turmoil in their recent past. I was surprised to learn what life was like before the Russians invaded 30 years ago and then in the early 1990s, the Taliban, and after the fall of the Taliban reign. I have hope for their future.

It has been way too easy for me to sit back and ignore the people we share our world with. Bring what you found back to share with us if you'd like.

No comments:

Post a Comment